Jedi Beginnings Summer Camp
2021 Jedi Beginnings Dates
Session 1: June 28-July 2 | 4-6 yo (sold out)
Session 2: July 12-23 (M-F) | 6-9 yo (sold out)
Session 3: July 26-30 | 4-6 yo (sold out)
- All sessions run from 9am - 12pm
- Make it a full day by registering for the afternoon Arts & Movement Camp located in the same building! See details below.
- Register more than one child and receive 10% off using code "FAMILY" at checkout
- You are welcome to register for weeks outside of the advertised age groupings. 4-9 year olds can register for ANY Jedi session due to COVID-19.
- The quantity reflects the # of kids you are registering
- If you're registering different kids in different weeks, choose the sessions, add on afternoons if wanted, and add to cart. Do the same for each child. Please add ages!
See descriptions and more important information below.
Each session uses Star Wars to motivate 4K - 3rd graders to move up in the 'ranks,' mastering Yoga & mindfulness skills just like Yoda. Sensory exploration at nearby parks in the great outdoors will serve as an essential connection point between mindfulness and outdoor play. We try to be outside as long as possible - even in rain! This camp blends fun, adventure, movement, high quality education and self-expression all into one, well-rounded experience. These weeks are a must for parents looking to help their 4-9 year olds be more self-aware and able to express / understand emotions.
Glenwood Moravian Church
725 Gilmore Street, Madison WI 53711
Please do not feel deterred by the advertised age groupings. In an effort to limit exposure between families, we will be grouping siblings together in pods. 7-9 year olds may enroll for the 4-6 year old weeks if that works best for you. There will be two 6th-8th grade mentors in each pod helping motivate, role model and safely play with campers. Older campers can help do the same and gain leadership skills along the way.
After you finish payment, you'll receive an email receipt that includes the following information for you to keep on hand:
COVID Safety Plan
It is our intent to host all sessions of Camp Beginnings advertised in 2021 based on what we know about COVID-19. Many outdoor & indoor schools across the globe have safely operated throughout the pandemic. We will be adhering to up-to-date CDC guidelines (including mask wearing), staying in small learning pods (10 campers + 2 mentors + 1 certified teacher), utilizing outdoor spaces & keeping a close eye on community COVID-19 numbers. If for some reason we need to cancel a session due to local guidelines, families will be given the choice to receive a full refund or rollover funds to a different week/year/program. Read the full plan here.
Cancellation Policy - See More Here
NEW FOR AFTERNOONS: Art & Movement Camp!
Hike & Heal Wellness, Chartreuse Art Studio and BollyBeat108 join forces this summer to offer families in West Madison a full day of high quality summer camp. After a morning immersed in Jedi Beginnings, kids will eat a packed lunch with one of their afternoon instructors & proceed to benefit from an entire afternoon of self-expression through art, yoga & dance. All instructors from each business have years of professional teaching experience and are passionate about what they lead.
BollyBeat integrates fitness with dynamic choreography set to upbeat music. Participants experience the joy dance brings to the body! Kids will build skills in coordination, sequencing, balance, perseverance, cooperation & a major boost in happy hormones to lift the spirits. All dancers can expect easy to follow cardio routines that are safe and fun! No dance experience is necessary. Manisha will combine a new Bollywood dance routine each week with instruction in Kids Yoga to help the group focus, integrate and breathe their way back into balance. Learn more about BollyBeat108, owned & led by Manisha Bhargava. She also leads adult BollyBeat classes, as well as Hatha Yoga in and around Madison.
Chartreuse Art Studio is a process-focused art studio offering art, craft, and play for kids. We encourage young artists to explore creative materials and techniques in their own way. We want students to create, experiment, and have fun! Learn more about Chartreuse Art Studio, owned and led by Lisa Muench. Lisa is a preschool teacher, former elementary school teacher, and lifelong artist/crafter/maker.
2021 Art Studio Themes by Week (more on website soon)
Jedi Beginnings FAQ's
- Is there a multi-child family discount? Yes - use code "family" at checkout to save 10% when registering more than one child per family for any Hike and Heal camp.
- Is there a multi-session discount? Yes - choose 3 week option 1 or 2 to get your 100% off. Double check the dates!
- Can I split up payments? Yes - use code "50off" to make a 50% deposit. We will email you about the preferred way to take care of the remaining balance (50% at a later month, or breaking up the final cost into several months).
- Can I use multiple coupon codes? No - unfortunately you can only use one coupon code with our current registration system. If you are wanting to use a family code in conjunction with a rollover code from 2020, please email Moira and she will invoice you.
- Can I register for one week of the 2 week session? No - we use the 2nd week to continue learning skills we have built from the first week. We appreciate your understanding.
- Can I register for both 4-6 year old sessions? Yes - just know they will receive similar curriculum each session.
- Is this a church camp or spiritual camp? No. This is a summer camp focused on building skills in self-regulation using mindfulness, play and nature as our tools for learning and expression. We do not talk about religion or any spiritual beliefs. We do teach yoga poses to help with focus and guide some of our play, but we do not talk about yoga philosophy or Buddhism.
- What are camp hours? 9am - 12pm | There is an option to register for the PM camp here as well to make it a full day.
- I want to make it a full-day, how do I do that? Add the afternoon portion of the day for the weeks you'd like to sign-up for on this webpage. Art & Movement Camp has graciously decided to match Jedi Beginnings pricing. Register for 1 week: $200, 2 weeks: $300, 3 weeks: $400, 4 weeks: $500. Thank you for considering to support three small businesses.
- Do I need to send a yoga mat? No, we have our own mats to use when we teach yoga.
- Do you supply snack? Yes, we supply a healthy snack around 10am for campers. It is typically a fruit, vegetable, healthy grain or combination of all three. If your child has significant food allergies or is a picky eater, we ask that you send a snack with them so they stay full & happy.
- Where is Camp Begin held? Glenwood Moravian Community Church. Address: 725 Gilmore Ave, Madison WI 53711. We are thrilled about this central location because it is within walking distance to Glenwood Park, the UW-Arboretum and Wingra Park.
- I have a 3 or 10 year old that I'd like to enroll in Camp Beginnings. Is this possible? Please email Moira with special considerations such as this. Typically no - there's another session for 10 year olds, and 3 year olds are too young. If you have a 10+ year old with special needs who would benefit from the programming, definitely email Moira!
- Are you a non-profit organization? No. Hike & Heal Wellness, LLC is a for-profit organization. Camp Beginnings is the summer day-camp of Hike & Heal Wellness. See sales receipt for our tax ID number for child care tax write-offs.
- What will my child be doing most of the day? Campers will engage in a lot of play! As a Physical Education teacher, I know that kinesthetic (movement) learning builds memory cells inside our very own muscles. In addition, these memory cells are attached to synapses in our brains that build pathways and directly contribute to how we process and receive information. Your child(ren) will engage in a Jedi Lesson compiled of breathing skills, mindfulness lessons, appropriate Star Wars clips & often a bit of Yoga fun. After the Jedi lesson we head outside of free play, exploration, relationship building & deep nature connection. We play games, we craft and enjoy making art throughout the week(s). We share gratitude every day, tell stories, sing songs and practice patience by listening to each other in opening & closing circle. Mentors aging between 10-15 help motivate and encourage younger campers, giving them more allies for their weeks at camp.
- Will my child only be practicing breathing and yoga poses? NO! Nature cultivates the concept of mindfulness authentically, and thus will be the vehicle for those conversations and teachable moments. Yoga will be learned through playful engagement, and yes sometimes kids will learn different breathing techniques to use at home in addition to yoga sequences that either energize or calm the body. Conversations about feelings and emotions are also extremely important ways we will be teaching leadership and mindfulness. We aim to teach the kids to learn about their own bodies and brains! All of these strategies and more will be taught with the intent to help regulate sleeping, mood, focus, behavior, and emotions among other benefits.
- Who are the instructors? Moira Farrell, Nicole Bieno and Stefanie Muller. Moira teaches K-2 Physical Education in MMSD, Nicole teaches 7th grade in MMSD, and Stef is an elementary guidance counselor in the DeForest School District. All of these certified educators also have their yoga certifications, have a personal mindfulness practice, enjoy art and depend on nature for their sanity. :) In addition to our lead teachers, Camp Beginnings utilizes Peer Mentors who range in age from 10-14 and are previous Hike and Heal Beginnings participants. They help role model positive behavior and assist the lead teachers with whatever they need.
- Are you looking for volunteers? Always! Specifically, we are looking for BIPOC nature connection or mindfulness mentors. Teachers looking to bring yoga, mindfulness and outdoor learning to their students benefit from learning content and having fun. Some volunteer while their child is at camp. We are also looking for peer mentors who are older than the camper group. Tell your tweens & teens to email Moira to be considered.
- Is this a camp only for kids with special needs? No! This camp is for all children ages 4-8 years old. We get a mixture of campers who have IEPs and ones who do not. As teachers in Madison Public Schools, we feel it is important to gather as much information as we can on each camper prior to meeting them. This philosophy drives the questions on our camper information form.
- Are there other weeks available? No, the dates you see above are the only dates we offer camp this year.