Jedi Beginnings Summer Camp
195 250 $175.00 - $225.00
2023 Jedi Beginnings Dates
Session 1: July 17-21 | 4-6 yo | 9am-12pm | $175
Session 2: July 24-28 | 7-9 yo | 9am-2pm | $225
- Register 2+ children and receive 10% off using code "FAMILY" at checkout
- The quantity reflects the # of kids you are registering
- Registration opens February 1 - please ignore the "sold out" wording
- Pricing increases March 1 by $25
- See descriptions and more important information below.
Each session uses Star Wars to motivate 4K - 3rd graders to move up in the 'ranks,' mastering Yoga & mindfulness skills just like Yoda. Sensory exploration at nearby parks in the great outdoors will serve as an essential connection point between mindfulness and outdoor play. We try to be outside as long as possible - even in rain! This camp blends fun, adventure, movement, high quality education and self-expression all into one, well-rounded experience. These weeks are a must for parents looking to help their 4-9 year olds be more self-aware and able to express / understand emotions.
Glenwood Moravian Church
725 Gilmore Street, Madison WI 53711
Please do not feel deterred by the advertised age groupings. In an effort to limit exposure between families, we will be grouping siblings together in pods. 7-9 year olds may enroll for the 4-6 year old weeks if that works best for you. There will be two 6th-8th grade mentors in each pod helping motivate, role model and safely play with campers. Older campers can help do the same and gain leadership skills along the way.
After you finish payment, you'll receive an email receipt that includes the following information for you to keep on hand:
COVID Safety Plan
Will send information several weeks before your child's first day of camp. Likely it will be simple - attend healthy!
Cancellation Policy - See More Here
Jedi Beginnings FAQ's
- Is there a multi-child family discount? Yes - use code "family" at checkout to save 10% when registering more than one child per family for any Hike and Heal camp.
- Is there a multi-session discount? No
- Can I split up payments? Yes - use code "50off" to make a 50% deposit. We will email you about the preferred way to take care of the remaining balance (50% at a later month, or breaking up the final cost into several months).
- Can I use multiple coupon codes? No - unfortunately you can only use one coupon code with our current registration system. If you are wanting to use a family code in conjunction with a rollover code from 2020, please email Moira and she will invoice you.
- Is this a church camp or spiritual camp? No. This is a summer camp focused on building skills in self-regulation using mindfulness, play and nature as our tools for learning and expression. We do not talk about religion or any spiritual beliefs. We do teach yoga poses to help with focus and guide some of our play, but we do not talk about yoga philosophy or Buddhism.
- What are camp hours? 9am - 12pm for 4-6 yo and 9-2pm for 7-9 yo | There is no wrap around care available this year
- Do I need to send a yoga mat? No, we have our own mats to use when we teach yoga.
- Do you supply snack? Yes, we supply a healthy snack around 10am for campers. It is typically a fruit, vegetable, healthy grain or combination of all three. If your child has significant food allergies or is a picky eater, we ask that you send a snack with them so they stay full & happy.
- Where is Camp Begin held? Glenwood Moravian Community Church. Address: 725 Gilmore Ave, Madison WI 53711. We are thrilled about this central location because it is within walking distance to Glenwood Park, the UW-Arboretum and Wingra Park.
- I have a 3 or 10 year old that I'd like to enroll in Camp Beginnings. Is this possible? Please email Moira with special considerations such as this. Typically no - there's another session for 10 year olds, and 3 year olds are too young. If you have a 10+ year old with special needs who would benefit from the programming, definitely email Moira!
- Are you a non-profit organization? No. Hike & Heal Wellness, LLC is a for-profit organization. Camp Beginnings is the summer day-camp of Hike & Heal Wellness. See sales receipt for our tax ID number for child care tax write-offs.
- What will my child be doing most of the day? Campers will engage in a lot of play! As a Physical Education teacher, I know that kinesthetic (movement) learning builds memory cells inside our very own muscles. In addition, these memory cells are attached to synapses in our brains that build pathways and directly contribute to how we process and receive information. Your child(ren) will engage in a Jedi Lesson compiled of breathing skills, mindfulness lessons, appropriate Star Wars clips & often a bit of Yoga fun. After the Jedi lesson we head outside of free play, exploration, relationship building & deep nature connection. We play games, we craft and enjoy making art throughout the week(s). We share gratitude every day, tell stories, sing songs and practice patience by listening to each other in opening & closing circle. Mentors aging between 10-15 help motivate and encourage younger campers, giving them more allies for their weeks at camp.
- Will my child only be practicing breathing and yoga poses? NO! Nature cultivates the concept of mindfulness authentically, and thus will be the vehicle for those conversations and teachable moments. Yoga will be learned through playful engagement, and yes sometimes kids will learn different breathing techniques to use at home in addition to yoga sequences that either energize or calm the body. Conversations about feelings and emotions are also extremely important ways we will be teaching leadership and mindfulness. We aim to teach the kids to learn about their own bodies and brains! All of these strategies and more will be taught with the intent to help regulate sleeping, mood, focus, behavior, and emotions among other benefits.
- Who are the instructors? Moira Farrell - Moira teaches K-2 Physical Education in MMSD, is a certified yoga instructor, kayak instructor and wilderness first responder. In addition to our lead teacher, Camp Beginnings utilizes Peer Mentors who range in age from 10-14 and are previous Hike and Heal Beginnings participants. They help role model positive behavior and assist the lead teacher with whatever she needs.
- Are you looking for volunteers? Always! Specifically, we are looking for BIPOC nature connection or mindfulness mentors. Teachers looking to bring yoga, mindfulness and outdoor learning to their students benefit from learning content and having fun. Some volunteer while their child is at camp. We are also looking for peer mentors who are older than the camper group. Tell your tweens & teens to email Moira to be considered.
- Are there other weeks available? No, the dates you see above are the only dates we offer camp this year.