Mindful Beginnings Summer Camp
CANCELLED DUE TO COVID19 - See Letter to Families Here.
July 13-24, 2020 from 9am - 3pm | 8-14 year olds | Two weeks of learning skills in meditation, yoga, problem solving, relationship building and so much more! This is specifically for 8-14 year olds who need an extra boost in self-esteem, routine, smaller group instruction and an opportunity to learn social - emotional regulation. Kayak each week, rock climb & camp at Devil's Lake State Park. Art & cooking classes are highlights for kids, while nature connection & expressing gratitude drives the entire experience. See below for family & coupon deposit codes.
Glenwood Moravian Church: Across from Wingra School
Address: 725 Gilmore Street, Madison WI 53711
**Short walking distance to UW Arboretum trails, Wingra Park and Glenway Park
**Hike & Heal Programs are not affiliated with any religion
After you finish payment, you'll receive an email receipt that includes the following information for you to keep on hand:
- Is there a multi-child family discount? Yes - use code "family" at checkout to save 15% when registering more than one child for any Hike and Heal camp.
- Can I split up payments? Yes - use code "50off" to make a 50% deposit. We will email you about the preferred way to take care of the remaining balance (50% at a later month, or breaking up the final cost into several months). ***you can only use one coupon code at checkout so if you're registering multiple children and you just want to make a deposit versus paying in full, please email us and we'll invoice you on the back end.
- Can I register for just one week? No - part of the success of this program is due to the duration of the experience and having the same youth present each week to build upon skills and relationships.
- When is the camping trip? On Wednesday, July 15 you will drop your camper off normally at 9am. We will head to Devil's Lake State Park in Baraboo that morning to explore, camp and rock climb for two days and one night. On Thursday, July 16th we will return back to Glenwood Church by 3pm for their normal pick-up time. There is NO CAMP on July 17th. This is considered a reboot day, and provides space for families to vacation as wanted/needed.
- What do we send my child with for the camping trip? A more extensive items to bring list will be sent closer to the camp date. Hike and Heal will be providing tents, food, cookware, and any other facilitator materials needed. MSCR Elements certified guides will be providing rock climbing gear & instruction. Campers will need to bring all personal gear (limited to one bag), sleeping pads and sleeping bag.
- Is this a church camp or spiritual camp? No. This is a summer camp focused on building skills in self-regulation using mindfulness, play and nature as our tools for learning and expression. We do not talk about religion or any spiritual beliefs. We do teach yoga poses to help with focus and guide some of our play, but we do not talk about yoga philosophy or Buddhism.
- What are camp hours? 9am - 3pm | please contact us if earlier drop-off or later pick-up is needed. While we try our best to accommodate commuting/working families, please know we cannot always meet these needs.
- Do I need to send a yoga mat? No, we have our own mats to use when we teach yoga. If your child prefers their own, feel free to bring it.
- Do you supply lunch? No - please send a healthy lunch that doesn't need to be refrigerated. We prepare afternoon snack together to eat throughout camp.
- Where is Camp Begin held? Glenwood Moravian Community Church. Address: 725 Gilmore Ave, Madison WI 53711. We are thrilled about this central location because it is within walking distance to Glenwood Park, the UW-Arboretum and Wingra Park.
- I have a 7 or 15 year old that I'd like to enroll in Mindful Beginnings. Is this possible? Please email Moira with special considerations such as this. Typically we'll take 15 year olds, but not 7 year olds due to the fact there is a Jedi Beginnings camp for this specific age group.
- Are you a non-profit organization? No. Hike & Heal Wellness, LLC is a for-profit organization. Camp Beginnings is the summer day-camp of Hike & Heal Wellness. See sales receipt for our tax ID number for child care tax write-offs.
- What will my child be doing most of the day? Our mornings begin with gratitude, opening circle and a team building activity. We then split into two groups for nature exploration & mindfulness stations. We eat lunch, enjoy some free time & then experience art or cooking classes. There are days where we go kayaking at Lake Wingra, Rock Climbing at Devil's Lake and overnight camping.
- Who are the instructors? Moira Farrell, Marci Speich & Weslie Cymerman. Moira teaches K-2 Physical Education, as well as a Mindfulness REACH class coined "Jedi Training" at Midvale Elementary School. Marci teaches Mindfulness REACH to K-5 students at Stephen's Elementary, serves as their PBS Coach and owns her own business teaching Yoga called Backyard Yoga. Weslie teaches Health & Wellness at Wingra School, and years of experience in teaching Outdoor Learning. All three of these certified educators love the opportunity to teach their passions throughout the summer. In addition to our lead teachers, Mindful Beginnings seeks to bring in UW & High School aged Volunteers to help role model positive behavior and assist the lead teachers with whatever they need.
- Are you looking for volunteers? Always! Teachers looking to bring yoga, mindfulness and outdoor learning to their students benefit from learning content and having fun. Some volunteer while their child is at camp. We are also looking for peer mentors who are older than the camper group. Tell your high schoolers or college-aged children to email Moira for consideration.
- Is this a camp for kids with special needs? This camp is for all children aging between 8-14. We get a mixture of campers who have IEPs and ones who do not. As teachers in Madison Public Schools, we feel it is important to gather as much information as we can on each camper prior to meeting them. This philosophy drives the questions on our camper information form.
- Are there other weeks available? No, the dates you see above are the only dates we offer camp for 8-14 year olds in 2020.